Sunday, May 11, 2014

CAMpreneur Writer SAHNDRA FONDUFE Releases "YEFON - THE RED NECKLACE"

Hello  people...CAMpreneur  writer Sahndra Fondufe just released "Yefon - The Red Necklace".The book was launched May 3rd 2014 in Los Angeles, CA.

Here is the 411..


   
  Tell us a bit yourself.
My name is Sahndra Fon Dufe!  Think of me as the Cameroonian- born actress, writer and activist, called Sandra with an H. It’s actually pronounced Saan-drah Fun-doo-fey. Easy right? I am actually human, lol. And I really love to sing. I want to be a singer in my next life. I’m a foodie (urban slang, for a person who doesn’t know when to stop eating), but I also one of those Africans who love kale and quinoa. i.e I eat very healthy. What else have I not said in another interview? Let’s see… (Drumming fingers on my brown table), I have a lot of shoes (You’re probably asking yourself, what this has to do with you. lol. I know, me too. Lol)

 As an up and coming actress, tell us a bit about what you have been up to lately? 

You know what, I haven’t shot any movie this year. This year has been more about my book. Writing a book eats up A LOT of time so I had to prioritize. Earlier in February, I was in the official Coca-Cola world cup music video, but that’s it so far. The new video is not yet out, but check the old one here

Recently, I was in Ireland for the Dublin premiere of a movie called ‘One night In vegas’ starring a lot of really famous people.I humbly played Van Vicker’s wife, Mildred in the movie and so we went out there to see the film. Besides that, and a few auditions, my main focus has really just been my book.
Check out the new trailer for a movie I played lead in, called Unconditional Love here 

  Yefon,  The Red Necklace. A Synopsis & Overview? 

Yefon: The Red Necklace is the first novel in a trilogy series that I intend to build a franchise, like the Hunger Games or Harry Potter series. I think it has the right elements to achieve that, as it is a powerful tale of ambition and courage.
It is also my debut novel. The last international attempt from my part to do anything like this, was way back in Cameroon when I was about 14 or 15 years old, I wrote a poem called ‘Dear Momma’, in 2004, and it was recognized by the Common Wealth of Nations, which at the time Cameroon was a part of. I suppose that encouraged me, because I wrote a bunch of other novels that only my peers read. This time, I want you all to read it.

Now, in terms of what the story line is all about, the whole story is actually a recollection of events that Yefon tells her grand daughter Yuveyonge, when she is old.

During the 1950's, in her Central African village, women are uneducated and are expected to either work on a farm or be one of many wives, but Yefon dares for more—she wants to learn how to read, even if looking at a book could mean her death. Although everyone thinks she’s an abomination, including her mother and sisters, her father knows she’s destined for greater things. When he is murdered, Yefon clings to the gift he gave her for inspiration—a red necklace. She soon comes to realize that the necklace is no ordinary ornament, but a talisman crafted by the spirits. Yefon walks a dangerous path that could lead to her freedom…or her death.

For more information about the book, you can visit website at www.yefonthenovel.com

     When and why did you decide to write it?

I have been working on it for a while now. I would say the whole process is an average of three years. But over the last year, I have been way more involved in the writing of this book, than any other thing.

I decided to write it because I have a vision. As you all know, I have wanted to make the movie for a while now, and when that particular process was being delayed, I decided to regroup and re-strategize, and so you know what they say, there are many roads, my friends… The possibilities are endless. You are limitless, sometimes all it takes is just a moment of thought… thinking outside the box that is, and honestly, just trusting your instincts.

 Why the story? 

Because the world needs it.  This story is, unfortunately such a timely piece. Look at what is happening today, before our very eyes in Nigeria TODAY. In 2014! It breaks my heart that we are still discussing something as fundamental as the necessity for education of the woman…something as crucial as the basic human right that we all deserve. It seems as though this topic is unnecessary! It should be, but unfortunately it is not. Women are still second-class citizens in the minds of some men, today. They may not directly say it, but it is very much inferred by their jokes, and conversations and what have you?

To specifically answer your question, this story is one that I believe, every woman should read. Not because I wrote it. That is an obvious thought, and it is too easy to ask that people read a piece because you wrote it. But no! People need to read this tale of courage, and inspiration. People need to remember that they can become the change that they want to see, no matter what situation they find themselves in. They need to remember, that a fire shines bright within every single one of us.  That is why, I believe this story is alive.
We are the story. It is us, and the possibilities are limitless.


Why the title?
Yefon is my Grandmother’s name.  She always called me that name, even though it was not in my birth certificate. Soon enough, I started calling my self that. I think it is a beautiful name, with a royal meaning. Yefon means  ‘the mother of the king’.

I remember clearly when I chose this name for this piece. It was November 2011, and I wanted a powerful name that would be easy to remember, with a short spelling, that foreigners would be able to pronounce. Imagine an American in the heart of Kansas, trying to go tell a friend to watch this movie he or she just saw. I didn’t want them to forget the name and then forget the spelling when they were about to google it.
So I thought long and hard. Some of the names that were by passed before Yefon was chosen included Yenla (which is now her sister’s name), Yika, Amina, and a few others.

I chose Yefon, Now you know why.

    What was your motivation and inspiration?

Every single time I am asked this question, I jump up like a child who has just seen her mother. The answer is soooo long, and I will not bore you with it. However, I will tell you this. I spent seven years in an all girl boarding school, and those years of my life were flowery, and filled with several experiences. One of them was literature. I was always the best at that subject, and I read a lot of books, down from the corny Harlequin romance novels that kept all of us company, to Shakespeare, and Achebe, Dipoko, and Ayi Kwei Armah, to Ngugi wa Thiongo, to St. Exupery and Kenjo Jumbam! I read them all, avidly!

After winning all those awards for best in literature, and being my lit teacher’s class pet, I learned one major lesson, and it is this: a good story should not only entertain, but inspire, enlighten, and educate! My fellow Cameroonian author Kennyrich, calls it infotainment.

And so, that was my motivation. My inspiration was all  women, who bring forth life, yet are treated by some like we are not important. Like we are not better than sheep. If in 2014, a man decides to kidnap 234 girls from school for studying western education! If in 2014 a man can decide to sell fifteen year old girls for 12 dollars per head, like sheep! If in 2014, the idea of a female president is laughed at, by some, if in 2014 stronger, wealthier women are finding difficulties in marrying because men demand for a weaker species, if in 2014, laws are STILL being passed allowing a man can marry a female child, then how am I not going to be inspired? How will I not have something to write about? I rest my case.

   You had a campaign for Yefon The movie. Is it still in the works? Is the book a prelude? 

Yes the book is the prelude to the movie. Stay tuned 

   What challenges did you face writing the book and how did you overcome them?
I don’t look at anything as a challenge. It starts from the mind. I am a very determined person. A little head strong, a little tenacious, and so nothing really challenges me. I look at all of it as part of the process.

However, writing this book was extremely time consuming, and expensive.  A lot of research went into the work, and I had to sacrifice a lot to bring it to fruition.
I over came that by stopping everything else and focusing only on the book. Even on Christmas, and new years, I was glued to my computer. I wanted the book to compete with the best, so I did my best, and now, I hope the world loves it, as much as I do.

    Any advice for first time authors?
Yes, just do it. I recommend taking this amazing class with Melissa Foster called Fostering Success. Also, besides writing a good story, invest in various forms of editing, and beta reading. It makes a difference. 


   How & Where to purchase the Book? 
The Paperback is now available HERE on Amazon.com 

The E-book will also be available on Amazon on JUNE 3RD.

Please support twenty four year old, Cameroonian-born actress and author @Sahndra Fon Dufe, by reading her debut novel, @YEFON: The Necklace, a timely piece that discusses the issue of women’s education, a problem still faced by thousands of women in the world.

Read more about the book at the website:  www.yefonthenovel.com



     
    

Acknowledgements

The LA launch  event would not have been possible without a lot of people, and I want to say thank you to them:
Thank you Celebrity Center, Hollywood for the beautiful location!
Thank you to my editor David Gregory, my cover designer :Natasha Brown, my illustrator 
Art of Ethel Tawe, my formatter Clare Ayala, for this beautiful product!
Thank you to Down Town LA Printers for printing the miraculous number of novels for the event!
Thank you to my event sponsors @African Pictures International, 
Gifted Minds AfricaDJ CHICKLadera Weight Loss & AestheticsLas Vegas Shuttles. You helped me make my event possible.

Thank you to 
Veronica's FuFu Kitchen, Totos restaurant , Little Ethiopia Restaurant and Merkato Ethopian restaurant for the DELICIOUS food you sent to the event!

Thank you to amazing performers who ultimately killed it last night 
MissJay, @LP Offiishal, Emmanuelle Girard , Gary Curtis, Jozeanne Marie, Rasheed Stevens!!! It was amazing!!! Thank you!

To the host @Dr Larry Cocoa Welton! MAN! What a host!!!! No one would have done it better!!! Thank you so much!!! I was honored to have you!

To 
Diversity News Magazine and Abrosika Productions, Inc., as well as all other media outlets, and photographers present, thank you!! I am so grateful!!!!

To my team! Leigha Hagood from LT Creative, thank you soo much for making me feel great yesterday, and the wonderful after party at your house! To Mocha Nana, from Oracle Group, thank you for the moral support from all the way in the DMV!!!

To all the celebs who came through last night! Thank you for showing me so much love! Reitha gray, 
Raz AdotiSaid Faraj and all the others who were present! Thank you! I am grateful!

To my wonderful wonderful friends Jubilee Gamaniel, and Adinett Nsabimana, and to my babe Jon Gottem (whose birthday is today, btw, happy birthday babe!) Thank you guys soo much for your help! I would have died without your help yesterday! Thank you!


And to IRepCamer..Thank you for being a sponsor!!





Any last words?
Yefon is a perfect mother’s day gift for any mom! If you want to WIN a signed copy of the book for your mother, this mother’s day week 2014, please enter a give away contest here:  ENTER HERE!

Happy Mother’s day to all the beautiful mothers in the world! Especially mine! I know my brother will read this and go, so what about the ugly moms? And this is my answer to him, and any one else who shares his bizarre sense of humor.. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. If some one didn’t find them beautiful, they would not be a mother today. Catch my drift? Lol.

I am on social media. Please like my page on facebook, and keep the conversation going.
Facebook: www.facebook.com/sahndrafondufeofficial



NEWS!!! Play Yefon book Run Game: (COMING SOON)!!! It’s a free desktop game!!! If you want to be alerted when the game is available, please sign up here: SUBSCRIBE HERE



 Check out the pictures of the  May 3rd Book Launch  hereDiversity News Magazine article  

   Upcoming events
You can network with Sahndra at book signings and events. 


 May
May 23:  Martin Luther King Memorial Library901 G. Street NW Washington, DC 20001. 6.30PM- 9.30PM. RSVP HERE.

May 24:  8131 Georgia Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20910
7pm+ (Tip: Cameroonian sensation Petit Pays will be there). RSVP HERE

June
Hueman Bookstore, New York. (Details coming soon.)
To be reminded, please SUBSCRIBE HERE

August 1
CPS, Houston (More information coming soon).

To receive notifications for upcoming events SUBSCRIBE HERE

To invite, and host Sahndra  in your city, for a book signing or speaking engagement, please contact
 Official rep: YEFON The red necklace
The oracle group
Mocha Nana
c: +1 954. 793. 6401
e: info@theoraclegroup.net



Yefon The Novel Site:  www.yefonthenovel.com
Author website: www.sahndrafondufe.com
OK..there you have it. Now you know why I am soo proud that my latest namesake is a book..lol.. Grab your copy of Yefon!!

Thumbs up to Sahndra...Keep flying the Green-Red-Yellow flag high..

Y.M.
IRepCamer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This