Monday, March 7, 2011

DISCOVER CUMBRIA: My first walk on the "Cumbria Way" & Coniston

I moved to Barrow in Furness eight and a half months ago. I know you are thinking..."Where in the world is that?".Barrow in Furness is an industrial town in Cumbria in the North West of England. Cumbria, a predominantly rural County is home to the "Lake District", one of the most beautiful areas of the United Kingdom...

I hope you can experience my journey in this amazing county with "Discover Cumbria".


















I took up a big challenge about a month ago. For someone who cannot play any sport to save her life to say the least I thought I was seriously kidding myself.

My Challenge: Participate in the 40 mile Keswick To Barrow Walk in May!The Keswick to Barrow walk, a "40 mile sponsored stroll through some of the country's finest landscapes" was established to raise funds for local charities in Barrow and South Cumbria.











I finally finished my first practice walk last weekend. I walked 8 miles on the "Cumbria Way" from Ulverston to Blawith on Saturday, March 4th 2011.

The Cumbria Way is a 70 mile foot path from Ulverston to Carlisle. Ulverston is a market town in the center of the Furness Peninsula. "..It is the birth place of Stan Laurel and home to the world's only Laurel & Hardy Museum".

I have to say that I was a tough one..I have never walked like this in my life...It felt like an adventure walking through fields, up and down hills, climbing over stone walls...etc...

The Cumbrian statistic for People to Sheep is 1:4, so I took lots of pictures of SHEEP!!

He is my picture story....Enjoy





The Lamars!!


Sheep





And more sheep!



The Horses

The Pigs!

The "Fowls"....lol





The Cows




...Baba Black Sheep??lol

Country home....surrounded by fields (with sheep of course..lol)!!

Upclose and personal with the horse!

This is where I bailed out....My colleagues walked 9 more miles to Coniston

It took me about 17 minutes on the X12 from Blawith to Coniston. "..Coniston is a home to some of the most dramatic and diverse scenery in the whole of Cumbria...". After walking for over 4 hours, I needed a "Full English".....There is a one thing I cannot complain about..."The English Breakfast"...



I enjoyed the two hours spent in Coniston







Sheep are a big deal: Sheep Souvenir!!


Gangs of New York? lol...Apparently Coniston is a popular spot for bikers!!








St Andrew's Church was completed in 1891!!





More Bikers!!

Presenting....my souvenirs!!





Hope you enjoyed my picture story...Looking forward to my next Cumbrian adventure!!

Have a nice week.

Y.M.
IRepCamer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This